I'm still the man for the job

Australian captain Ricky Ponting remains defiant in the face of the team's worst Test match losing streak in 22 years, saying he's still the man for the job.

Speaking in Sydney after his arrival home from India, where the Australians lost the Test series 2-0, Ponting brushed aside calls for him to step down as captain.

When asked if he still feels he's the person to lead the side Ponting was unwavering.

"Absolutely," he said "I've got no doubt about that all. "It was disappointing over there (India) ... but that's the game of cricket.

"I'm still learning about my own game and my captaincy and if the other players can learn a bit from that trip then it should hold us in good stead for the summer.

"I'm trying to do my best as captain to help some of these guys through some difficult times.

"That's all I can continue to do.

"I give my absolute best as always, ever since I've been the Australian captain, to be the best leader I can be and be the best player I can be and if I get criticised for that along the way then I can't do anything about that." One of his critics has been former Test spinner Shane Warne who used social networking site Twitter to question Ponting's captaincy during the second Test. "I told him (Warne) I was a bit disappointed and that what he had to say was very unfair," Ponting said. "Warnie has a lot of followers (on Twitter) following what he has to say and probably some of those followers now might start believing what he's had to say, so that's disappointing.

"It's one person's opinion on one little aspect of one little part of the two Test matches that we've played.

"It's done and dusted now, we've got to move on and start preparing for the Ashes."

With less than a month before the first Test at the Gabba Ponting feels selections may be more open than usual with domestic players possibly getting a chance to shine in light of the Test team's form slump.

"It's very rare that we lose three games in a row so I'm sure the selectors will have a few things that they're thinking about over the next few weeks.

"With the Shield season already underway there have been some great standout performances already.

Source http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/im-still-the-man-for-the-job-20101014-16lqr.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment