Aussie Ricciardo prepares for Nurburgring

Daniel Ricciardo is out to tick the second box in his fledgling Formula One career in Germany this weekend.

The young West Australian successfully negotiated his maiden grand prix for Hispania Racing in England earlier this month and is now moving on to the second goal.

For the 22-year-old, on loan to Hispania from Red Bull, that means closing the gap on the field.

Ricciardo drove cautiously and kept out of trouble as he trundled home last at Silverstone and now aims higher.

He has to try to get a better handle on the tricky Pirelli tyres, which stablemate Mark Webber has also struggled with this year.

"I have learnt that there is a lot more to the tyres and managing them than I thought. For now this is one of the main things I need to learn quickly about," said Ricciardo, confident he will feel comfortable at the historic Nurburgring layout, where he has competed in lesser categories.

"I know the track reasonably well even if my worst souvenir was in 2008 when I raced in F3 Euro Series and I stalled on the start of the second race (of the weekend)," he said.

"But in the first race I finished sixth in the points.

"Recently, I drove there last month in the World Series by Renault. I had a great race there with Robert Wickens in dramatically changing weather conditions.

"I didn't win the battle, but it was still a great race because I enjoy the track so much."

The conditions might be a help for Ricciardo, with bad weather forecast for Sunday's German GP.

Source http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aussie-ricciardo-prepares-for-nurburgring-20110722-1hsjo.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment